Woods’ 5th Masters victory and 15th career major championship title comes in dramatic come-from-behind fashion
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TIGER’S WIN:
- Tiger’s 15th major championship title is the 7th global victory for TaylorMade’s 2019 M5 & M6 Drivers featuring Twist Face Technology.
- As he has since the Farmers Insurance Open, Tiger opts for the M5 driver at 9° with the weights split in the rear track; recently, he’s made the switch into a Diamana D+ 60 TX shaft.
- In addition to his M5 driver, Tiger also plays a 13° M5 fairway equipped with a Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70 TX shaft.
- The Farmers Insurance Open also marked a new era for Tiger and his irons as he first put into play the highly-anticipated P•7TW irons, which the company just this last week made available to consumers. As he has for the majority of his career, Tiger has them equipped with True Temper’s Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts.
- As he has since the Memorial last year, Tiger plays Milled Grind wedges in a raw finish with a custom grind to his specification. As has become the norm, he plays a 56° & 60°, equipped with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts.
TIGER WOODS’ WINNING BAG AT THE MASTERS TOURNAMENT:
Additional Notes of Interest
- 4 players in the top 9 (including ties) played TaylorMade TP5 or TP5x golf balls
- 5 players in the top 9 (including ties) played TaylorMade drivers
- Tiger’s 81st win puts him just one shy of the all-time record held by Sam Snead.
For more information on Tiger or any of TaylorMade Tour staffers’ equipment, click HERE. For all other requests or additional information, please contact the TaylorMade Communications team.
Titleist Speed: New TS4 Model Joins Most Popular PGA Tour Driver Family
Building on the runaway success of TS2 & TS3 drivers as the most popular golf drivers on the PGA Tour, Titleist introduces the Titleist TS4, a new model born out of the Titleist Speed Project that provides speed and distance gains to golfers seeking ultra-low spin performance off the tee.
The new TS4, making its debut this week at the Valero Texas Open, is engineered to be an ultra low-spin, high-speed driver– challenging the notion that a driver designed for extreme spin reduction can’t produce this level of ball speed.
Available in golf shops and fitting locations beginning in late June, TS4 merges technologies developed through the Titleist Speed Project, a two-year Titleist R&D mission to deconstruct driver and fairway metal designs and rebuild them both from scratch, designing greater speed into every detail. The TS4 is the latest realization of these efforts, featuring a low, forward CG that neutralizes spin to produce a longer, more piercing ball flight.
“TS drivers have exceeded all our expectations both on tour and with golfers around the world,” said Josh Talge, Vice President of Marketing, Titleist Golf Clubs. “When it comes to driver performance, TS has shown that it’s no longer a one- or two-horse race.”
“While we know most golfers find their best fit in a TS2 or TS3 driver, there is a percentage of players out there with distinct performance needs, such as aggressive spin reduction,” Talge said. “TS4 is the low-spin solution that still produces exceptional ball speed. If you want to hit it longer but are having trouble controlling spin off the tee, TS4 was made for you.”
TS4 Technology & Performance:
The innovations used to drive ball speed in TS2 and TS3 drivers have been optimized for TS4’s 430cc Speed Chassis, designed to aggressively reduce spin and maximize distance for high-spin players:
- Ultra-Thin Titanium Crown:The thinnest cast titanium crown (20% thinner than 917 drivers) in the game allows weight to be redistributed low and forward for reduced spin.
- Thinner, Faster Face:The fastest face Titleist has ever made – a refined Radial VFT (variable face thickness) that reduces weight – delivers faster ball speeds and increased forgiveness. Every TS driver face undergoes a 100% CT inspection to ensure speed performance is at the maximum allowable limit.
- Streamlined Shape:The aerodynamic design of TS4 – featuring a 430cc classic, pear shape – reduces drag, allowing golfers to swing faster for increased club head speed and more distance.
- Low, Forward CG:The low and forward CG position (5mm forward vs. TS2) – highlighted by the placement of the SureFit Flatweight– produces ultra-low spin for a piercing ball flight that is straighter and more consistent.
Titleist’s patented SureFit Hosel, featuring 16 independent loft and lie settings, allows for additional ball flight optimization through precision fitting.
“When it comes to ultra low-spin drivers, there’s always going to be some tradeoff in terms of MOI,” Talge said. “But for those golfers who create too much spin because of the way they deliver the club head, we know through our player testing that TS4 can give them greater distance consistency versus what they would see in a higher-MOI product.”
- Premium Stock Shafts:Making its market debut with the launch of Titleist TS4 drivers is the new Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow,featuring a counterbalanced profile for low launch and low spin. Golfers can also choose from the same four aftermarket shaft models as TS2 and TS3 – Even Flow T1100 White 65 (Low launch and spin), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 (Low/mid launch and spin), TENSEI AV Series Blue 55 (Mid launch and spin) and KURO KAGE Black Dual Core 50 (High launch and moderate spin). In addition, Titleist offers an industry-leading number of custom shaft choices.
- Free Trial & Fittings:Golfers can experience the speed of TS2, TS3 – and now TS4, beginning in late June. Book Now
Titleist TS4 drivers will be available in golf shops and fitting locations beginning in late June. Available in 8.5, 9.5 (RH & LH) and 10.5 lofts.
• • •
Click here for a full listing of Tour Players Trusting TS Drivers
12 sets of Mizuno irons in play and Donald makes his return to the PGA Tour
One of Mizuno’s 12 iron sets that started the Valspar Championship proved their worth by finishing in the winners circle at Copperhead / Florida. The ‘free agent’ winner who also won the event in 2018, played a mixed a set of MP-5 (5 – pw), MP25 3 iron and a recently added JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron.
The week was also notable for Luke Donald’s return to the PGA Tour. A lack of recent competition eventually took its toll on Donald – after looking back his very best for the first 3 days. Donald who returned to play using a new driver – the ST190G, finished T9 at (-4) to lead an official #teamizuno representation of Lucas Glover (-3), Chris Kirk, and Adam Schenk.
POWERED BY M5 DRIVER & ’19 TP5 GOLF BALL, RORY MCILROY CAPTURES THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE WITH FULL BAG OF TAYLORMADE PRODUCT
McIlroy’s 15th career PGA TOUR victory is the 3rd win on Tour for TaylorMade’s New M5 & M6 Drivers featuring the company’s ground-breaking Injected Twist Face technology; also second win in three weeks for new Spider X putter
- As he has since the Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Rory has continued to play a 9° M5 Driver, of which he’s found remarkable success this season. At TPC Sawgrass, Rory averaged 305 yards off the tee for the tournament – good for fifth in the field.
- In addition to the M5 driver, McIlroy also games a 19° M5 titanium fairway, which he put into play the same week he added the M5 driver to the bag – in Kapalua.
- Rory’s first PGA TOUR win of the season is the 4th win for the new 2019 TP5/x golf ball – joining Johnson (x2) and Fowler as staffers who’ve won playing it. Rory’s preferred golf ball is the is the ’19 TP5, stamped #22.
- Working diligently to find his putting stroke heading into the season’s first major championship, McIlroy added the new Spider X putter to his equipment arsenal this season and the results have been impressive. This week, he carded 21 birdies or better en route to victory. His win is the second on the PGA TOUR with the company’s newest putter; joining the winner of the Honda Classic.
- Having played the Milled Grind Wedges since first joining Team TaylorMade, Rory’s setup has remained fairly consistent throughout the year This week, he opted for the Milled Grind Raw in 48°, complementing it with 54° & 60° Milled Grind Hi-Toe wedges.
- With the win, McIlroy will elevate to #4 in the OWGR and is set to be a #1 seed at the WGC-Dell Match Play next week.
Additional Statistics of Note:
Ranked first in strokes gained: total (13.924)
Ranked first in strokes gained: tee to green (3.316)
Ranked second in strokes gained: off the tee (5.309)
Ranked T3 in greens in regulation (58/72 – 80.56%)
Ranked fifth in driving distance (305 yards)
Molinari Joins Callaway Golf Tour Staff
Molinari, the 2018 Open Champion, Ryder Cup standout and 10th ranked player in the world, will play Callaway clubs and a Callaway golf ball
CARLSBAD, Calif., March 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — Today Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) announced that Francesco Molinari, the reigning Open Champion, has joined its Tour Professional Staff. He will play Callaway woods, irons, wedges, an Odyssey Putter, and a Chrome Soft Golf Ball, and he will use a Callaway Staff Bag.
“I am joining Callaway because I’m so impressed by their equipment,” said Molinari. “More than anything, I’m looking forward to playing the new Epic Flash Driver and the Chrome Soft X Golf Ball. The ball speed gains that I’m getting from the driver are unbelievable. And this golf ball is the best one that I’ve ever played. The performance from tee-to-green, especially the feel and control, is exactly what I want.”
This week, Molinari will make his Callaway tournament debut at the Arnold Palmer Invitational on the PGA Tour. He will have all Callaway equipment in his bag for the event, including an Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver, an Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairway Wood, Apex MB 18 Irons, Mack Daddy 4 Wedges, an Odyssey Toulon Madison Putter with a new Stroke Lab Shaft, and a Chrome Soft X Ball.
A native of Turin, Italy, Molinari is coming off a remarkable 2018 campaign, highlighted by his first major win at The Open Championship. He also won the BMW PGA Championship and the Quicken Loans National last year, and he posted a perfect 5-0 record for the victorious European Team at the 2018 Ryder Cup. He enters this week as the 10th ranked player in the world.
“We’re proud to welcome Francesco as our newest Callaway Staff Professional,” said Tim Reed, Callaway’s Senior VP of Global Sports marketing. “We’re confident that he will play at an even higher level and enjoy many more great wins with Callaway equipment. He’s added ball speed off the driver with Flash Face Technology, and his performance on approach shots and around the greens has been spectacular with his new Callaway irons, wedges, and our Chrome Soft Ball.”
On the greens, Molinari is currently using an Odyssey Toulon Madison Putter that features a new Stroke Lab Shaft. “Francesco is a tremendous putter, and he really likes the milled performance he’s seeing from the Madison,” said Sean Toulon, SVP, Callaway Golf & GM, Odyssey Brand. “And with the Stroke Lab Shaft he’s getting more consistency in the rhythm and the tempo of his stroke. It’s a combination that’s going to help him have a lot of success and make of a lot of big putts.”
You can follow Francesco on Twitter: @F_Molinari and on Instagram: @chiccogolf
About Callaway Golf Company
Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) is a premium golf equipment and active lifestyle company with a portfolio of global brands, including Callaway Golf, Odyssey, OGIO, TravisMathew and Jack Wolfskin. Through an unwavering commitment to innovation, Callaway manufactures and sells premium golf clubs, golf balls, golf and lifestyle bags, golf and lifestyle apparel and other accessories. For more information please visit www.callawaygolf.com, www.odysseygolf.com, www.ogio.com, www.travismathew.com, and www.jack-wolfskin.com.
PM Grind 2019
Product one-liner: A Total Redesign by Two Legends
Even by Callaway’s high standards, the PM Grind 2019 wedge is a very special golf club. Its pedigree alone is remarkable, as it was co-created by Phil Mickelson, arguably the greatest wedge player in history, and Roger Cleveland, arguably the greatest wedge designer in history.
First, some background. The original PM Grind started as a one-off prototype built expressly for Phil back in 2014. It was characterized by a uniquely shaped head with an exceptionally high toe and expansive face area, including grooves spanning the entire face, both from side-to-side and up-and-down; all to help Phil hit his famous “Phlop” shots. Phil’s satisfaction with the prototype led Callaway to introduce it to the public, in 2015. That resulted in a new, high-performance wedge category, but though others have tried, none have come close to matching the unique combination of shape, technology and performance of the PM Grind.
This year Phil began working with Roger on improvements to the PM Grind that make it easier to hit three essential shots Phil thinks every golfer needs:
1) The Knockdown — a low-flying, high-spinning shot ideal for attacking the pin.
2) The Hit & Check – a short pitch that bounces twice and stops.
3) The “Phlop” – the high-flying, steep-landing, fast-stopping greenside shot Phil made famous.
Phil conferred closely with Roger on the improvements necessary to help any player hit these three shots. The result is PM Grind 2019, a truly astonishing achievement in wedge design. The changes Phil and Roger implemented are:
Offset Groove-in-Groove Technology
Callaway’s Groove-in-Groove technology was introduced last year in our Mack Daddy 4 wedge. It entails four micro-positive ridges machined into flat parts of the face, parallel to the grooves, creating 84 points of contact with the ball. The ridges form a micro-groove between them, which is why it’s called Groove-in-Groove. For PM Grind 2019, Phil suggested machining the micro-grooves into the face at a 20º angle, making them perpendicular to the target-line, or close to it, when you open the face, promoting more spin on lob shots. Callaway testing indicates that offset Groove-in-Groove placement promotes an increase of up to 12% more spin on lob shots.*
Increased Offset and a Higher Toe
“Offset” in a clubhead is the distance between the front edge of the hosel and the leading edge of the clubface. Increasing the amount of offset in the PM Grind 2019 makes it easier to move the ball back in your stance and position your hands ahead of the ball, which is necessary to hit a knockdown. The higher toe, made possible by removing weight from the sole (represented by the four holes in the sole, each filled with a metallic green aluminum cap) pulls the CG location upward to promote a lower trajectory, with the added benefit of creating more space high on the face, which is helpful on lobs from tall grass.
The C-Grind, with significant relief at the heel and toe, is well known for smooth and clean turf interaction, promoting solid contact from all types of lies.
PM Grind 2019 is equipped with premium components: Tour-proven KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 steel wedge shaft designed to deliver and optimum balance of feel, spin and control. Tour-proven Lamkin UTX grip in black with green highlights. Choice of two rich finishes: Platinum Chrome and the stunning, head-turning new Tour Grey. The premium look is further enhanced by the beautiful circular PM Grind medallion on the back.
Loft/bounce combinations include: 54º/14º, 56º/14º, 58º/12º, 60º/12º and 64º/10º. All available in right-handed and left-handed.
“Working with Phil on the PM grind wedges has been a fantastic experience,” said Cleveland. “His insights are always spot-on, and implementing them to create something innovative like the PM.Grind 2019 is incredibly satisfying. This wedge is going to help a lot of players hit shots they couldn’t hit before.”
Features & Benefits
Offset Groove-in-Groove Technology for High Spin Lob & Pitch Shots
Positioning the micro-grooves on a 20º angle in relation to the standard grooves promotes added spin on chips, pitches and lobs.
Increased Offset & Higher Toe for Crisp, Flag-finding Knockdown Shots
Increased offset and higher center of gravity from the higher toe together help players control trajectory on full and partial shots.
C-Grind Sole Configuration for Crisp Contact from a Broad Range of Lies
Generous relief at the heel and toe promote crisp, clean contact from a variety of greenside lies.
Premium Components and Finishes
KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 steel wedge shaft, Lamkin UTX grip and choice of Platinum Chrome or Tour Grey finish.
* Based on robot testing versus Mack Daddy PM Grind Contact us for more information on fitting