Justin Thomas Battles to WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational Victory
Thomas back as number one after closing with five-under 65 to hold off Brooks Koepka at TPC Southwind.
In the final round, Justin Thomas fired a five-under 65 to secure a three-shot win at WGC-FedEx St Jude Invitational in Memphis.
The 27-year-old, now back to the number one spot in the world, started the day four strokes off the lead in the fifth position at TPC Southwind, then slipped past a crowded leader board in the closing stages to finish 13-under 267 to claim his third PGA TOUR win of the season and 13th overall PGA Tour victory.
Defending champion Brooks Koepka made a brave defense of his title and held the heat on Thomas before double-bogeying the 18th to fall back into a tie on the 10th.
Tom Lewis finished in a share of second place.
The English duo, Tom Lewis and Matt Fitzpatrick, both battled fiercely for victory on the back nine but faded later on. At the same time, Lewis had the advantage of finishing second along with the American trio Koepka, Daniel Berger, and Phil Mickelson.
Thomas started strongly with birdies at the second and third and added further gains at the seventh and ninth, which lifted him into the lead at 12 under.
What’s in Thomas’s bag for 2020?
JT continues to use the Titleist TS3 driver, which got its first outing at last year’s US Open. He also uses the TS3 3-wood, which replaced his 917 in 2018. But he is still refusing to give up his trusty Titleist 915FD 5-wood, which helped him win his maiden major title at the 2017 PGA Championship.
He uses a Titleist T100 4-iron and has upgraded to the Titleist 620 MB irons from 5-iron to 9-iron.
In his wedge setup, JT is yet to move into the Titleist Vokey SM8 and still uses the SM7 model which are in 46°, 52° and 56° tweaked to 47.5°, 52.5°, and 57° respectively. His 60° lob wedge is a slightly modified SM6 model tweaked to 60.5°.
Thomas putts with a four-year-old Scotty Cameron X5 mallet and plays the Titleist Pro V1x golf ball.
- Driver: Titleist TS3, (9.5°, B1 setting, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 60 TX shaft)
- Fairway woods: Titleist TS3 3-wood (15°, A1 setting, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX shaft); Titleist 915 FD 5-wood (18°, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 9.2 Tour Spec X shaft)
- Irons: Titleist T100 (4); Titleist 620 MB, (5-9, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts)
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design Raw SM7 (46° set to 47.5°, 52° set to 52.5°, 56° set to 57°); Titleist Vokey Design Raw SM6 (60° set to 60.5°, True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue shafts on 46, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts on 52-60)
- Putter: Scotty Cameron X5 Flow Neck
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
- Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord (woods, irons, and wedges); SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour (putter)